So if you are interested in making headbands, here is a quick way of making your own little headband creations:
1) You will need to buy yardage of elastic (decorative or plain) in ¾” to 1” wide, I don’t recommend wider than that. Elastics like these are sold in any fabric or craft stores and usually the minimum to buy is 1yd which is more than enough for a baby or toddler’s head.
2) Next you need to measure your baby or toddler’s head and cut the elastic to that length (leave about ½” extra at the end)
3) Once you’ve cut the elastic, sew the tips together Or hot glue them if you don’t know how to sew.
If you choose not to make the headband yourself then don’t worry, you can always buy ready made crochet bands (sold in many craft stores)
Or you can also buy elastic hairbands (sold at any stores with hair accessories)
4) Now that you have your headbands ready to decorate, you will need the following items:
- Grossgrain ribbon or Satin ribbon to make your own bows
- Or plain ready made bows
- Light weight fabric like chiffon or mesh to make flowers or big bows
- Rhinestone or small studs to embellish
5) Once you’ve made or decorated the bow or flower that you will be attaching to the headband, you can attach with hot glue
(for the crochet headbands I cut a small circle of felt (about ½”) and place it behind the crochet to prevent any glue from dripping thru)
Headbands are ready to wear as soon as glue dries! Enjoy