My family and I are planning a trip to the Bahamas for my son's 11th birthday. He asked that instead of a birthday party and gifts we take a family vacation to a beach in another country. Although we live only 30 minutes from the beach here, he wants to be able to travel and visit a different beach. I thought it was a good idea plus we need a vacation to relax and have fun.
But as much as am looking forward to leaving everything behind and relaxing at the beach, I now have to stress on preparing for this trip and worry about what to take. This is going to be our first vacation with Dahlia and to be honest I've never traveled with a baby anywhere this far so am concerned about what is necessary when traveling with little ones. Here is what I have found so far when traveling with kids:
Money and Documents:
- credit cards or debit/ATM cards (make sure these work in the country you're visiting)
- travelers' checks if needed
- picture id - passport, picture id and other id if needed.
- a photocopy of your picture ID, packed separately, just in case your ID is lost or stolen. (And leave a copy with someone not traveling, too.)
- membership cards: AAA; Disney Club; etc.
- calling card or special phone number for long distance phone calls
- health insurance documents
- travel insurance documents
- drivers' license if you'll be driving on the trip; international driver's license if required
- vaccination documents if needed for foreign countries
Toiletries & Personal Care:
- tooth paste, toothbrushes, dental floss (packed together, in a ziplock bag)
- shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, etc.
- shaving gear
- contact lenses paraphernalia
- reading glasses
- skin cream, makeup
- nail clippers
- foot powder
- lip balm
- ear plugs
- sleep aids
- Portable Crib or Play pen
- Diapers, wipes
- Baby food
- Bottles/ Pacifiers
- Baby Dishes
- Blankets/ Pillows
- Baby Sling
- Favorite Toys
- children's fever medicine, cold medicine, etc.
- allergy kit, if needed
- blister kit: moleskin for blisters, elastic tape to go over the moleskin, scissors, bandaids
- feminine hygiene products
- prescription medicines
- health boosters such as airborne
Technology Stuff to Bring:
- cell phone
- iPod(s) or other music players
- Kid's DS/ PS/ Gameboy...
- digital camera and memory card
- video recorder
- laptop/ iPad/ Kindle...
-for all the above: batteries, chargers, cords!
- guidebooks--buy the best! It's a small investment, compared to the cost of your vacation.
- ziploc bags (that actually zip.) Use for toiletries, wet swimsuits, crayons, etc.
- flashlight & batteries
- needle and thread
- handy to have: nightlight if this will help your child
- alarm clock (if your cell phone isn't your alarm clock)
- plastic food containers: fill with snacks such as raisins to eat on the plane; later, bring one to restaurants in case your kids won't eat their food (though they' be hungry ten minutes later...)
- -cereal! Save money and time by eating cereal in your room for breakfast. Buy fresh milk, or use powdered; don't forget the plastic spoons.
- wet wipes, for cleaning hands, faces, etc. There's even a special brand for removing stains from clothes.
Credit for some items on this list: Travel with Kids
Hope this helps any of you who are also planning a trip/vacation soon with your kids! If you have any helpful hints for me, leave me a comment, I'll appreciate it :)